My publishers, Cranachan, will publish a Reflective Reading guide for Fir for Luck later in the year! In addition, there are free Highland Clearances resources for teachers on my blog. Find them here.
Author Visits and Events
As a qualified English and Drama teacher, I have a lot of experience with young people and am keen to get them up on their feet! I frequently work in both primary and secondary schools, but am also happy to do site-specific events.
I am very happy to visit schools, libraries, festivals and events and can provide:
- creative writing activities (including Active Learning approaches) for primary or secondary schools
- drama workshops (related to Highland Clearances if required)
- traditional chat-and-readings with Q&A
- puppetry workshops including shadow puppetry
- special events such as World Book Day/Shakespeare’s birthday/Burns Day
- interactive games
- Highland Clearances-style cooking/baking
- In addition, I am more than willing to adapt activities to your needs and preferences
I love seeing young people engage with stories – especially my stories! Here is what some of them had to say when I took my then-work-in-progress on the road:
Class teacher Mr Mathie reflected on the visits from a teacher’s perspective:
“In P6 we were incredibly fortunate to have Mrs Henderson give us an insight into what life is like as a writer. What a great experience it was to see a manuscript come to life and evolve in front of our eyes. Fridays just won’t be the same!”
And for teachers who may be looking for book-themed activities, here’s a wee example: A Book Blind Date